Sustainability Week in Blacksburg
Sustainability Week is a weeklong slate of events held each year in September through a partnership between the Town of Blacksburg, Virginia Tech and Sustainable Blacksburg, a non-profit citizens’ organization. This year, Sustainability Week will feature 25 events, and will kick off on the afternoon of Saturday, Sept. 14 and will conclude Sunday, Sept. 22.
Events throughout the week vary in terms of content and format, but have a common goal of “Celebrate-Educate-Motivate.” The week’s events serve as an opportunity for community members to come together and have meaningful dialogue, acquire new knowledge and skills, and ultimately translate these into actions they can take in their homes, schools, places of work, and the wider community.
Here is a sampling of just a few of the events planned for Sustainability Week 2019:
- Bike Parade led by Mayor Leslie Hager Smith
- Free Eco-Matinee at the Lyric: “HOOT!”
- Shop/Dine Fundraiser Day for the Susan Garrison Fund
- National Geographic Live at the Moss: Coral Kingdoms & Empires of Ice
- Sustainable Brewery Tour: Rising Silo
- Climate Change Impacts: Local Ecology
- Lightning Talks! Fast-Paced, Eclectic & Fun Presentations on nine Sustainability Topics
- Sustainable Eats Bike Tour: A Glimpse of Sustainable Practices at VT’s Dining Halls
- Center for Food Systems & Community Transformation: Launch Event
- Tai Chi and Yoga events at Hahn Horticulture Garden
- VT Sustainability Open Form: Past Progress and Future Opportunities
- Monarch Mania at the Market: Blacksburg – A Monarch Friendly Community!
- Sustainable Bike Tour of Town and Campus
- Tour of Stadium Woods: Ecology & History
- Electric Car Display
- Interfaith Prayer Walk + Potluck
- And more.
The Sustainability Week partnership, now in its 13th year, was formed as a way to bring campus and community together to build a more sustainable and resilient community. This unique and successful partnership has continued to grow and improve over time; and was honored to receive state level recognition as the recipient of a 2016 Governor’s Environmental Excellence Award.
Details for the full listing and additional details on this year’s events can be found at