Permit required for residential chicken keeping

Spring is here (despite all the snow) – and spring is the season for chickens!

As a reminder, chicken keeping is allowed in the Town of Christiansburg, but residents must obtain an annual $25 permit for urban agriculture and meet certain requirements related to the zoning/use of the property, the number of chickens, the size/location of the coop and waste management.

For more information on obtaining an urban agriculture permit for chicken keeping, please contact the Planning Department at or call 540-382-6120.