Free Tax Preparation Services
IRS VITA/TCE return preparation sites are operated by IRS certified volunteers. Site operating hours and services offered vary (sites listed below). Please be advised that this is a free courtesy service provided by volunteers on an appointment basis, so it may take a few weeks to complete and submit returns. Your patience and understanding are appreciated.
Who Qualifies for Free Tax Prep at our VITA SITES:
If you earned $54,000 or less in 2018, volunteers will prepare and file your personal federal and state income taxes (within limits; see guidelines below) from February 4, 2019 until April 12, 2019.
• Wages, salaries, etc. (Form W-2)
• Interest Income (Form 1099-INT)
• Dividends Received (Form 1099-DIV)
• State Tax Refunds (Form 1099-G)
• Unemployment Benefits (Form 1099-G)
• IRA Distributions (Form 1099-R)
• Pension Income (Forms 1099-R, RRB-1099, CSA-1099)
• Social Security Benefits (Form SSA-1099)
• Simple Capital Gain/Loss (Form 1099-B)
• Sale of Home (Form 1099-S) limited
Will not Prepare
• Schedule C with loss, depreciation or business use of home
• Complicated Schedule D (capital gains and losses)
• Form SS-5 (request for Social Security Number)
• Form 8606 (non-deductible IRA)
• Form SS-8 (determination of worker status for purposes of federal employment taxes and income tax withholding)
• Parts 4 & 5 of Form 8962 (Premium Tax Credits)
What to Bring
• For married filing joint, both spouses must be present
• Photo identification for you and your spouse (if married)
• Social Security cards or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number documents for you, your spouse, and dependents
• Birth dates for you, spouse and dependents
• A copy of last year’s tax return
• All Forms W-2, 1098, and 1099
• Self-employed Income (Form 1099-MISC) limited
• Gambling Winnings (Form W-2G)
• Cancellation of Debt (Form 1099-C) limited
• Health Savings Accounts (Form 1099-SA) limited
• Itemized Deductions limited
• Education Credits (Form 1098-T)
• Child Tax Credit & Other Dependent Credit
• Earned Income Credit
• ACA Statements (Forms 1095-A, B or C)
• Prior Year and Amended Returns limited
• Form 8615 (tax on certain children’s unearned income)
• Forms 1095-A, B or C (ACA Statements)
• Information for other income
• Information for all deductions/credits
• Total paid to day care provider and their tax ID number
• For direct deposit of refund, proof of account and bank’s routing number
• For prior year returns, copies of income transcripts from IRS (and state, if applicable)
Please see a professional preparer for assistance with complicated returns.
2019 Sites: Closed for Holidays and inclement weather.
Montgomery County Commissioner of Revenue (note: for Montgomery County residents only).
755 Roanoke St. Suite 1A Christiansburg VA 24073 Phone: 540 382 5710
Tuesday, Wed., Thur.: 9:00 am-11:30 am and 1:30-3:30 pm
Call for appointment to drop off and pick up.
Radford City Commissioner of Revenue (note: for City of Radford residents only. Fairlawn is not within city limits.)
619 Second Street, Radford, VA 24141
Phone: 540 731 3613
Drop-offs accepted on a walk-in basis between the hours of 9am-4pm Mon.-Fri.
New River Community Action Pulaski Emergency Assistance
412 N. Jefferson Ave., Pulaski VA 24301
Phone: 540 980 5525
Mon., Wed., Thurs. 10:00 am-4:00 pm
Call for appointment.
New River Community Action Floyd Emergency Assistance
120 Epperly Mill Road SW, Floyd VA 24091 Phone: 540 745 2102
Mon. and Wed., 9:00 am-12:00 pm
Call for appointment.
New River Community Action Montgomery Emergency Assistance
110 Roanoke Street, Christiansburg VA 24073 Phone: 540 382 6187
Hours and times vary; call for availability
Fast and Easy Option for Filing Taxes online:
MyFreeTaxes.com (provided through a nation-wide partnership between the United Way and H&R Block)
• Everyone whose household income was less than $66,000 in 2018 is eligible
• 100% accuracy guaranteed. The software scans for any tax credit you’re entitled to, making sure you get your maximum refund.
• Free federal and state filing (up to 3 states) are included
• You can file easily either on desktop or mobile
• Chat, phone, and email assistance from tax professionals is included