Be prepared for Hurricane Florence
We’re getting ready for Hurricane Florence and we hope you are too. The Category 4 storm is expected to impact parts of the company’s Virginia service area beginning Friday and lasting throughout the weekend.
Preparations are underway to move employees and contractors into areas likely to experience damage and outages from the hurricane. American Electric Power crews from Ohio, Indiana, Michigan and Kentucky are ready to assist, if needed.
Forecasts suggest a significant chance of high winds and major flooding with more than 6 inches of rainfall in eastern portions of the Virginia service territory. However, this could likely change as the hurricane’s inland track better comes into focus.
You can prepare for the hurricane by following these safety tips:
Flash Flood Safety Tips
- Avoid walking or driving through flood waters.
- Just 6 inches of moving water can knock you down, and 2 feet of water can sweep your vehicle away.
- If there is a chance of flash flooding, move immediately to higher ground. Flash floods are the number one cause of weather-related deaths in the United States.
- Avoid camping or parking along streams, rivers, and creeks during heavy rainfall. These areas can flood quickly and with little warning.
Power Outage Safety Tips
- Stay away from all downed lines or sparking equipment, and keep children and pets away from fallen lines and anything the lines may touch. Please report downed lines to us at 1-800-956-4237.
- Never remove debris that’s within 10 feet of a power line.
- Check on family members, friends and neighbors who have special medical needs or who are elderly, to ensure they have necessary emergency supplies.
- Charge your phones, laptops and other electronic devices.
- Refuel heaters, lamps, and generators outside and stay away from any flames or sparks. Wipe up fuel spills immediately.
You can get specific information about the outages affecting your account via text message and/or email by subscribing to Appalachian Power outage alerts. To sign up, please visit www.AppalachianPower.com/Alerts.
Report an outage, check outage status, manage your account and more by downloading the Appalachian Power mobile app at www.Appalachianpower.com/App
A snapshot view of current outages is available anytime at www.AppalachianPower.com Go to the Outages and Problems section of the site and click “View Outage Map.”