5/4: Battle of Cloyd’s Mountain Reenactment
New River Rifles, Incorporated presents the 155th Anniversary Battle of Cloyd’s Mountain Reenactment on Saturday, May 4, 2019 and Sunday, May 5, 2019 with parking and bus transportation at the New River Valley Fairgrounds in Dublin, VA.
• 9:00 am: Grounds open to the public
• 10:00 am: March to Cloyd’s Mountain – Dublin Depot
• 10:00 am – 1:00 pm: Living History on Display at Cloyd’s Mountain Battlefield with 45th Virginia Infantry Battalion
• 10:00 am: Infantry Demonstration at the Fairgrounds
• 2:00 pm: 155th Anniversary of the Battle of Cloyd’s Mountain
• 4:00 pm: Battlegrounds closed to the public
This reenactment will be held on the original battlefield property at 2:00 pm on both Saturday and Sunday. Events will include period camps, infantry demonstrations along with first person interactions with 19th century living historians. The camps will be open to the public as well.
Ticket cost is $10.00 for adults and children 12 & under are free.
Transportation to the battlefield is included with ticket purchase.
Period sutlers will be selling period goods and a tintypist (historic photographer) will also be on hand. Food Vendors will also be onsite.
Facts About Battle of Cloyd’s Mountain:
• The most significant battle in Southwest Virginia, fought in Pulaski County
• Took place May 9, 1864, between Union forces under General George Crook and Confederate forces under General Albert Jenkins
• Future Presidents Rutherford B. Hayes and William McKinley both fought at Cloyd’s Mountain
• After an hour of some of the most intense fighting of the Civil War, Union forces prevailed and the Confederates withdrew
The New River Valley Fairgrounds is located at 5581 Fairgrounds Circle in Dublin, VA.